- a) Books
- H.S. Shylendra (ed) (2009) New Governance and Development: Challenges for Addressing Poverty and Inequality, New Delhi: Academic Foundation
- H.S. Shylendra and Uma Rani (2005) Diversification and Sustainable Rural Livelihood, New Delhi: Concept Publications.
- b) Monographs
- H.S. Shylendra and Uma Rani (2000), Sustainable Rural Livelihood in the Context of Growing Occupational Diversification and Rural-Urban Linkages, Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
- H.S. Shylendra (2009) Has the SHG-Bank linkage helped the poor gain access to capita? A comparative study between Karnataka and Gujarat. Social and Economic Change Monographs 16, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore (with Veerashekharappa and S.Guha)
- State of Panchayats, 2007-08: An Independent Assessment, (Volume One Thematic Report) for Ministry of Panchayati Raj, GOI, (Y.K Alagh, V Bhandari, D.P. Mishra and HS.Shylendra as editors), April 2008.
- H.S. Shylendra (2001), Organising for Rural Development, Institute of Rural Management, Anand. (with Vishwa Ballabh, Sukhpal Singh and Jayesh Talati)
- c) Journal Articles and Book Chapters
(2016), Book Review on Microfinance India: State of the Sector Report 2013, and Microfinance India: The Social Performance
Report 2013, Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 71(4), Oct-Dec 2016, 508-11.
H.S. Shylendra (2016) 'Role and Rationale of Self-Help Group(SHG)
Federations: A Critical Assessment' The Microfinance Review, 8(1), Jan-Jun
Shylendra, H.S. (2015), "Regenerating Forests through
People’s Participation: How far has the Joint Forest Management Worked?", Society
and Management Review, 4(2), 152-165.
Shylendra, HS (2015), "Strengthening Links of National
Service Scheme for Community Development" in L.Kma (ed) Role of National
Service Scheme in Nation Building: Scope and Challenges, Excel India
Publishers: New Delhi, pp 7-25.
- H.S.Shylendra (2014) 'NABARD's Untenable Step on Primary Agricultural Credit Societies?' Economic and Political Weekly, April 12, 2014, 49(15),19-21.
- H.S. Shylendra (2013) 'Dairying as an Instrument of Inclusive Rural Development', Indian DiaryMan, April 2013, 113-15.
- H.S.Shylendra (2013) 'PACS as Business Correspondent: Untenable Step of NABARD' NAFCOB Journal of Rural Cooperative Credit and Banking July-Sept 3(3), 2013, 11-12.
- HS.Shylendra (2013) `Microfinance and the Cooperatives in India: Can the Poor Gain from Their Coming Together?' International Journal Rural Management, October 9 (2), 151-81.
- HS. Shylendra (2012 ) 'Community-Based Enabling Models of Microfinance: Praxis and Lessons from India' Millennial Asia, 3(2), July-December, 2012.
- H.S. Shylendra (2011) 'Rapporteur's Report: Innovations in Agricultural Credit Market: Rationalisation of Policy Response', Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 66(3), July-Sept 2011, pp 554-66.
- H.S. Shylendra (2012) `Summary of Group Discussion: Innovations in Agricultural Credit Market: Rationalisation of Policy Response', Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 67(1), Jan-Mar 2012, pp 108-112.
- H.S.Shylendra (2011) `Rickshaw Bank: Case Analysis' Vikalpa, Vol 36(4), Oct-Dec 2011, pp155-57.
- H.S. Shylendra and K. Bhirdikar (2009) 'Microfinance-Based Disaster Mitigation: A Study of Two Donor Supported Projects in Kutch, Gujarat (India)' Journal of Social and Economic Development, Vol 11 (1) 2009, pp 46-67.
- HS.Shylendra, et al (2010) `The Role of SHGs as Microfinancial Intermediaries: A Study in Sabarkantha District of Gujarat', Journal of Rural Development, Vol 29 (4), 399-423.
- H.S.Shylendra (2007) "Microfinance Bill: Missing the Forest For The Tress," Economic and Political Weekly, July 14, 2007, 42(27), 2910-14
- HS.Shylendra (2007) "The New Governance Paradigm:Its Meaning and Some Implications for Development" chapter in TM Joseph (ed) Local Governance in India, Concept Publishing Company New Delhi.
- HS.Shylendra (2006) "Some Developmental and Policy Challenges of Microfinance: Theory, Evidence and Implications" Arthavikas: Journal of Economic Development, January-June 2006, 42(1), pp. 1-14
- HS. Shylendra (2006) "Microfinance Institutions In Andhra Pradesh: Crisis And Diagnosis" Economic And Political Weekly, May 20-26, 41(20).
- HS. Shylendra (2006) "Mainstreaming Microfinance for Poverty Alleviation;Need for Proactive Policy and Regulatory Framework," chapter in Towards a Sustainable Microfinance Outreach in India: Experience and Perspectives, NABARD/GTZ/SDC: New Delhi.
- HS. Shylendra and K Bhirdikar (2005) "Good Governance and Poverty Alleviation Programmes: A Critical Analysis of Swarnjayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana", International Journal of Rural Mangement, 1(2), July-Dec, 2005.
- H. S. Shylendra (2004) 'The SHG-Bank Linkage Programme: An Assessment and Future Strategies' Journal of Rural Development, Vol 23, No.4 Oct-December 2004.
- H. S Shylendra and Umarani (2004) "Rural Urban Linakages, Occupation Diversification and Sustainable Rural Livelihood System" chapter in Ruedi Baumgartner and Ruedi Hogger (eds.), In Search of Sustainable Livelihood, Sage Publications, New Delhi.
- H.S. Shylendra, Umarani, Mukesh R. Patel (2003), 'Towards Human Development: Impact Assessment of a Micro Development Intervention in Western India' Development in Practice,13(1), February 2003.
- H S. Shylendra (2003) 'Regulation of Urban Co-operative Banks: An Overview and Assessment', In Mahadev & Abdul Aziz (eds.), Co-operation at Cross Roads, Mysore: Chetna Books and Publishers.
- H.S. Shylendra (2002), Book Review on ? Co-operatives in the New Millennium? Edited by R Selvaraju, Vikas Publishing House, New Delhi 2000, Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics , 57(2) April-June.
- HS. Shylendra (2002) 'Environmental Rehabilitation and Livelihood Impact: Emerging Trends from Ethiopia and Gujarat' Economic and Political Weekly, 38(31). Also published in S Somayaji & G Somayaji (eds.) Environmental Concerns and Sustainable Development: Some Perspectives from India, TERI Press, New Delhi, 2009.
- Uma Rani and HS Shylendra (2002) 'Occupational Diversification and Rural-Urban Migration: A Review of Evidence and Some issues for Research' Journal of Social and Economic Development, 49 (1).
- HS. Shylendra (2001), "Are Earthquake Deaths Overestimated? An Assessment for Kutchh Villages" Economic and Political Weekly, 26 (9).
- Uma Rani and H.S. Shylendra (2001), "Seasonal Migration and Rural-Urban Interface in Semi-Arid Tropics of Gujarat: Study of a Tribal Village", Journal of Rural Development, 20(2).
- HS. Shylendra (1999), Micro-Finance and Self-Help Groups (SHGs): A Study of the Experience of Two Leading NGOs, SEWA and AKRSP in Gujarat (India), Research Paper 16, Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
- HS. Shylendra, and P. Thomas (1999), "Rural Livelihood in Transition: A Study of Occupational Diversification in a Tribal Village of Gujarat", Chapter in Quest for a New Dawn, Kuchibotla Vasanthi Foundation, Kakinada.
- HS. Shylendra (1996), "Institutional Reform and Rural Poor: A Study on the Distributional Performance of a Regional Rural Bank", Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 51(3).
- HS. Shylendra (1996), A Book Review on Agricultural Co-operatives in Transition, Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 51(3).
- HS. Shylendra (1995), "Farm Loan Weavers: A Distributional and Impact Analysis of the Agricultural and Rural Debt Relief Scheme, 1990", Arthvijnana, 37(3).
- HS. Shylendra (1995), "Lender Vitality and Lender Behaviour: A Case Study of a Regional Rural Bank in South India", Savings and Development, 19(2).
- HS. Shylendra and P. Thomas (1995), "Non-Farm Employment: Nature, Magnitude and Determinants in a Semi-Arid Village of Western India", Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 50(3).
- HS. Shylendra and Katar Singh (1994), 'The Impact of Loan-Waiver Scheme on the Recent Performance of Credit Co-operatives in Karnataka', in Agricultural Credit System in India: The Next Stage, Mruthyunjaya et.al (eds), Venus Publishing House, New Delhi.
- HG. Hanumappa and H.S. Shylendra (1990), "Rural Credit in India: Policy, Problems and Prospects", Chapter in the Silver Jubilee Volume, Indian Institute of Socio-Economic Studies: Bangalore.
- d) Working Papers, Conference Papers and Workshop Reports
Shylendra (2014) presented a paper on 'Greening India through Participatory
Forest Management: How far JFM has worked?' in the International
Seminar on Green Economy and Sustainable Development held during 6-7 November
2014 at Institute for Social and
Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore.
- H.S. Shylendra (2012) Workshop Report on "Strengthening Panchayati Raj Institutions in Gujarat: Issues Before the Gujarat Third State Finance Commission" Institute of Rural Management: Anand.
- H.S. Shylendra (2012) 'Enabling Models of Microfinance' Paper presented at the Policy Conference on Microfinance and Social Capital organised by INAFI-India at New Delhi on 28th February, 2012.
- H.S.Shylendra (2011) `Decentralization and Rural Health Programme: A Study of NRHM' Paper presented at Workshop on Governance of Public Health Challenges and Road Ahead at New Delhi organized by XLRI during May 19-20, 2011.
- H.S.Shylendra (2011)
"The Microfinance Crisis: A Political Economy Perspective" Paper
Presented in the UGC sponsored national seminar on `Microfinance and
Development: In the Face of the Current Crisis' organized by Dept. of
Economics, Vivekananda College and Livelihood School, Hyderabad at
Kolkatta during 24-25 June, 2011.
- H.S. Shylendra (2011) 'Microfinance and the Cooperatives: Can the Poor Gain from Their Coming Together?' Paper Presented in the Third National Seminar on Microfinance: Issues and Challenges, Organized by Centre for Microfinance Research, Bankers? Institute of Rural Development (BIRD), Lucknow, during
- H.S. Shylendra (2011) "Making Microfinance Work for Women's Empowerment: Policy and Institutional Challenges" Paper Presented in the UGC sponsored national seminar on `Microfinance and Women's Empowerment in India' Organized by Naba Ballygunge Mahavidyalaya at Kolkatta 10 January, 2012.
- H.S. Shylendra (2011) 'Identification of the Poor: A Decentralised Planning Perspective' Paper presented at the National Symposium on "Social Attributes of Exclusion & Poverty in Rural India: Issues for Identification and Inclusive Policy" held during 12-13 January 2011 at Jaipur.
- H.S.Shylendra (2010), The New Methods of Poverty Assessment and Reduction: The Muddle and the Trap of Neoliberalism, Working Paper No. 224, Institute of Rural Management: Anand, December, 2010.
- H.S.Shylendra (2010) Theme Report on ‘Interlocking of Rural Markets and Credit Flow’, presented at the plenary session of the 24th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Agricultural Marketing, held during 23-25 November, 2010 at Navsari. (with Dr Y.C Zala)
- H.S. Shylendra and SS. Rajput (2010) ‘Role of Panchayats in The Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSSs): Issues And Evidence’ Working Paper No. 219, Institute of Rural Management: Anand, May, 2010.
- H.S. Shylendra and SS. Rajput (2009) Issues Before the Finance Commission: Empowering the Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs), Workshop Report No. 23, IRMA. 2009.
- H.S. Shylendra, et al (2008) ’ Financial Inclusion and SHG-Bank Linkage Programme: A Comparative Study of Karnataka and Gujarat’ Paper presented at the National Conference on Microfinance and Financial Inclusion, organized by INAFI at Chennai on 15 September,2008.
- H.S. Shylendra (2008) ‘Building A Model Microfinance Institution: The Case of Sanghamithra Rural Financial Services’, Case Presented at the Workshop on MFIs: Legal Framework and Transformation, Organised by Sa-dhan at Pune 7-8 September 2008.
- H.S.Shylendra (2008)’ Delivering Rural Development Programmes: Can Panchayats Make a Difference, Working Paper 206, Institute of Rural Management: Anand April 2008
- K.Bhirdikar and H.S. Shylendra (2008) ‘ Integrating Empowerment in Microfinance: Case of a Self-Help Group (SHG) Based Organisation.’ Case in Cases in Development and Management Challenges of Microfinance Interventions In India, HS.Shylendra(ed),Institute of Rural Management Anand.
- H.S. Shylendra and K. Bhirdikar (2008) ‘Are the poor still relevant for us? The Dilemma of Transformation of a Wholesale Microfinance Institution.’ Case in Cases in Development and Management Challenges of Microfinance Interventions In India, HS.Shylendra(ed),Institute of Rural Management Anand.
- H.S.Shylendra (2007) “’Missing the Forest For The Tress’: An Assessment of the Microfinancial Sector (Development and Regulation) Bill, 2007” Working Paper 200, June 2007, Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
- H.S.Shylendra (2007) “Role of Self-Help Groups (SHGs) in Poverty Alleviation and Women’s Empowerment: Some Emerging Issues and Way Forward ” Keynote paper presented at the National Workshop on Women’s Self-Help Groups: A Tool for Economic Empowerment held during 8-10 March, 2007 at Government College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Quepem, Goa.
- H.S.Shylendra and K Bhirdikar (2006) “Microfinance Based Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation: A study of the Design and Implementation of the Two Projects inEarthquake Affected Kutch District of Gujarat”, Paper presented at the First India Disaster Management Congress organised by NIDM on , 29-30, November 2006, New Delhi
- H.S.Shylendra and K Bhirdikar(eds) (2006) Students Microfinance Projects, A compilation of abstracts of MTS/OTS and FW papers/projects, January 2006. IRMA Anand.
- H.S. Shylendra, et al (eds) (2006), Managerial and Operational Problems of Microfinance Institutions(MFIs) in India, Workshop Report 21, Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
- H.S.Shylendra (2006) “Staff Incentives In Microfinance Institutions: Some Issues” Paper Presented at the Workshop on ‘Attracting, Retaining and Developing Human Resources: Challenges and Practices of MFIs In India, held during November 13-14, 2006 at IRMA.
- H.S. Shylendra (2005), ‘Empowerment Through Empathetic Professionalism: An Approach to Capacity Building of MFIs’ Paper Presented at the Workshop on ‘Addressing the Managerial and Operational Challenges/ Problems of MFIs, March 29-31, 2005, IRMA, Anand.
- Samapti Guha and H.S.Shylendra(2004) ‘Priority Sector Lending: Rationale, Performance and Some Emerging Governance Issues’ Paper presented at the Workshop on Governance Issues in Rural Finance, 17-18, Dec, 2004, at IRMA, Anand
- Prabal K Sen and H.S.Shylendra (2004) ‘Governance Issues in Rural Finance: A Concept Note’, Paper presented at the Workshop on Governance Issues in Rural Finance held during 17-18, December, 2004, at IRMA, Anand.
- H.S. Shylendra and Harmeet Saini (2004). ‘Taking Forward the Self-Help Groups of an NGO on the Path of Microfinance’: Some Possible Strategies for SWDF’ Working Paper 184, IRMA, Anand.
- H.S. Shylendra (2004), The Emerging Governance Paradigm and its Implications for Poverty Alleviation and Equity, Working Paper -182, IRMA, Anand
- H.S. Shylendra. (2003), ‘Let the Flowers of Microfinance Bloom’ A Paper presented at the Seminar on Future of Microfinance held on 9 March, 2003 under the auspices of DHAN Foundation, Madurai.
- H.S. Shylendra (2003) Professionalising Farmers’ Co-operatives Through Training: The Experience of IRMA, Working Paper 172, Institute of Rural Management Anand, 2003.
- H.S. Shylendra (2003), “The Bank” A case Cases in Microfinance), HS Shylendra, P.K Sen and Smita Mishra Panda (Eds) Volume Submitted to SIDBI Foundation for Microcredit Lucknow, Institute of Rural Management Anand.
- H.S. Shylendra and Vishwa Ballabh (2002), “Impact of Small Water Harvesting Interventions: An Analysis of the Experience of REST in Tigray and SWDF in Gujarat”. Paper presented at the Workshop on Community Based Small Water Harvesting in Ethiopia and India, Held at Mekelle, Ethiopia, on 27 February.
- H.S. Shylendra (2001), “GATS and Finacial Sector Reforms: Implications for Rural Sector”. Paper presented at the National Seminar on WTO and Impact on Indian Agriculture and Rural Sector, Oct 29-30, held at NICM , Gandhinagar
- Poul Wisborg, H.S. Shylendra & et.al. (2000), “Rehabilitation CPRs through Recrafting of Village Institutions: A Comparative Study from Ethiopia and India”, Paper presented at the 8th Biennial Conference of IASCP, Bloomington, USA, May 31 – June 4, 2000.
- H.S. Shylendra (2000), ‘Seasonal Migration: How far a Good Indicator for Measuring Livelihood Impact?’, Paper presented at the Final CONTICI Workshop, Institute of Rural Management, Anand. February 14-15, 2000.
- H.S. Shylendra et.al. (2000), Human Development through Micro-Trickle-Down: A Case of a Development Intervention in a Backward Village of Gujarat by SWDF, Working Paper 136, Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
- Uma Rani & H.S. Shylendra (1999), Seasonal Migration and Rural-Urban Interface in Semi Arid Tropics of Gujarat, Working Paper No. 111, GIDR, Ahmedabad.
- H.S. Shylendra (1998), Promoting Women’s Self-Help Groups: Lessons from an Action Research Project, Working Paper No. 121, Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
- H.S. Shylendra (1998), Promoting Women’s Self-Help Groups: Lessons from an Action Research Project, Working Paper No. 121, Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
- V.V. Bhanoji Rao and H.S. Shylendra (1994), `Deprivation in Indian States: Further Results', Paper presented at the International Seminar on Quantitative Analysis of Poverty and Inequality held at Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore, March 17-18, 1994.
- H.G. Hanumappa and H.S. Shylendra (1989), "Agricultural Credit and Droughts", Paper presented at the National Seminar on Planning and Financial Strategies for Rural Development and Employment Generation, Bangalore University, Bangalore, March 1989.
- H.S. Shylendra (1987) ?Rural Credit Impact Studies: Some Methodological Issues", Paper presented at the ICSSR Seminar, December 1987, Bombay.
- e) Popular Articles
'Fourteenth Finance Commission
and Local Governments: One Step Forward and Two Steps Back?' Blog Article on
IRMA Grameen Gyan Kosh at http://www.ggk-irma.in/discussionforum/blogdetail.php?id=12.
- Mitigating Erthquake
Tragedy in Nepal: Some Lessons from Gujarat. http://www.ggk-irma.in/discussionforum/blogdetail.php?id=13&catid=2 (2015)
Not out of woods Yet, Network, Jan-Mar 2014, Vol 19(1).
- Hind Swaraj: Gandhi in
Book Review, Network, July-Sept 2014, 28-31.
Dissent of NGOs in India’ in Exploring
Development, Sept 25 2014, http://expldev.wordpress.com/2014/09/25/suppressing-dissent-of-ngos-in-india-h-s-shylendra/.
- `Dr. V. Kurien: Persona and Contributions' Network, December 2012.
- `Social Capital and Development: The Debate' Network, April-June 2012.
- `Enabling models of microfinance: Praxis and Lessons' Network Jan-March 2012.
- `Cooperatives, Microfinance and the Poor' Network Oct-Dec 2011.
- `Rural finance: Post-reform concerns and issues for research' Network July-Sept 2011.
- The Microfinance Crisis : A Political Economy Perspective, Network Jan-June 2011.
- `Debating Operation Flood', a commentary note in Economic and Political Weekly, 46(10), March 5, 2011.
- ‘Malegam Committee Report on MFI Sector: Full of Paradoxes’, India Microfinance Business News 21 Jan,2011. http://indiamicrofinance.com.
- ‘New Poverty Line: A Critique’, Network, July-Sept, 14 (3), 2010.
- ‘Identifying the Poor:An assessment of New BPL Method, Network, 14 (1 & 2) 2010.
- ‘Comments on the Draft National Rural Livelihood Mission’, Network, 13 (2 & 3), 2010.
- ‘Financial Devolution to PRIs’, Network, Oct-Dec, 12 (4),2010.
- ‘Role of Self Help Groups’ Yojana, Vol 52, January 2008, 25-28.
- ‘Staff incentives in MFIs’ Network, July-Sept, 11 (3), 2007.
- ‘Managerial and Operational Problems of MFIs’, Network, April-Sept ,2006, 10 (2 & 3).
- ‘Growing Interest of Commercial Banks for Agricultural Lending: A Myth or a Reality’? Commodity India, 4(7), July 2004, 37-38.
- ‘The Way Forward for SHG-Bank Linkage Programme’, Shelter, Vol. 7(1), 2004.
- ‘Let the Flowers of Microfinance Bloom’ Network Vol. 9(3), 2003.
- ‘South Africa: Some Impressions from a Recent Visit’ Network, 9(4), 2003.
- ‘Drought in Gujarat: Some Impressions from the Field’, Network, 6(2), 2001.
- ‘Environmental Rehabilitation and Livelihood Impact’ Network, 7(1), 2001,
- ‘Reorganisation of Regional Rural Banks: Need for New Policy Thrust and Orientation’, Network, 4 (4), 1997.
- Whither Agri-Co-ops? Network, 3(2), 1996
- ‘Banking Sector Reforms: Aims and Implications’, Network, 2(1), 1995.
- ‘Land Reforms and Rural Economy’, Book Review on Political Economy of Agrarian Reforms in India by Ritu Dewan, Deccan Herald, August, 1991.
- ‘Whither Farm Credit?’ (with HG Hanumappa) Times of India, 17 December, 1990.
- ‘Merger of Rural Banks: A Retrograde Step’, The Economic Times, 30 January, 1990.
- f) Seminar Presentation/ Participation and Talks
Presented the paper on ‘Democratic
Decentralisation in a Reform-Driven and Growth-Oriented Economy: The Experience
of Gujarat in India’, at the International seminar on ‘State Politics and
Development in India’ held during 27-
28 December 2016, at Institute
for Social and Economic Change, Bengaluru.
Presentation made on ‘Capacity Building of District Planning Committees (DPCs)’ at the National Conclave on The Role of State Planning
Organizations, November 22. 2016,
Naya Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
Presentation made on Grassroots Planning and Budgeting for
Employment Guarantee: Case of MGNREGA, at BRICS Conference on Participatory Local Budgeting, 3-5 November 2016, Kochi, Kerala.
H.S. Shylendra (2016)
presented a paper on ‘Fostering
Sustainable Livelihoods through South-South Cooperation: Lessons from A Triangular Development Cooperation
Project at International Conference on South-South Cooperation, Orgainised by Research and
Information System for Developing Countries (RIS), New Delhi, 9-10 March 2016.
made presentations on a) Finance Commissions and Local
Governments: A Critical Assessment of the Recommendations of Fourteenth Finance
Commission; b) State Finance Commissions: The Curious Case of the Gujarat State
Third Finance Commission at Two Day
Conference on ‘Economics and Politics of Local Governments: The Indian Experience’ held at the Institute of Development Studies
Kolkata on 28-29 December, 2015.
HS. Shylendra presented a paper on “Institutions of the
Poor: A Critical Assessment of the Role of the Federations of Self-Help Groups
(SHGs)” at the 4th national seminar on ‘Microfinance: Issues & Challenges’
held at BIRD, Lucknow, October 16-17, 2015.
H.S. Shylendra (2015) presented a paper on ‘Enforcing
Rights-Based Interventions: The Experience of MGNREGA’ in the International
Conference on Local Governments and Rights-Based Development, held at
Thiruvananthapuram during May 15-17, 2015.
Shylendra made presentation on ‘'RurBan: Some Reflections on the Concept
and Scheme' at the Workshop on ‘Interrogating Rural-Urban Transitions: Dominant
and Alternative Conceptualizations’ held during August 27-28, 2014 at
Institute of Rural Management Anand.
HS.Shylendraa (with PJ.Bhatt, MV.Durga Prasad) made presentation on ‘Challenges of Promoting Organised Dairying in Assam: Insights from a Need Assessment Study’ in the workshop ‘Dairy Development and Sustainability
in the context of Globalization’ held at IRMA on August 1, 2014.
Shylendra presented a TASS seminar on ‘Suppressing Dissent? A Critique of the Intelligence Bureau’s NGO
Report’ at IRMA on 11 July 2014.
- Presentation on `Recent Performance of UCBs in Gujarat' Presentation made at the two-day National seminar on ?Emerging Issues in Urban Cooperative Banks? at Kuvempu University, BR Project, Shimoga Dist., Karnataka during 28-29, March, 2014.
- Presentation made `Revival Package: Can it Rejuvenate Co-operatives?' at the 29th Annual National Convention of Indian Society for Studies in Cooperation held at Bangalore on 21-22 February, 2014.
- Book Reading on V. Kurien, 'I too Had a Dream', Lotus Collection, New Delhi( 2005), on 15th Jan, 2014, under IRMA Book Reading Club, Anand.-
- Presentation on `Instrumental or Transformational' Practice and Discipline of `Rural Management' made at the 2nd National Symposium on Rural Management "Engendering Rural Transformation" held on December 14, 2013 at Institute of Rural Management, Anand.Rural management
- Talk delivered on "Way forward for PACS" at the Fourth Annual Meet of DDMs, NABARD, Anand, 02-03 December 2013.
- Presentation on `Centrality of Panchayats in Service Delivery: Rhetoric or a Reality?' at GDN and IRMA Policy Dialogue on `Panchayati Raj, Political Empowerment and Service Delivery in India', 28 November, 2013, New Delhi.
- Presentation on `Role of PACS as BCs and Implications for Financial Inclusion' in the Second International Workshop on Inclusive Finance conducted at XLRI Jamshedpur during September 13-15, 2013.
- Delivered a Talk on `In Pursuit of Excellence in Research?' at Amrita School of Business, Coimbatore on 5 July, 2013.
- Presentation on `Public-Private Partnership (PPP): Some Conceptual and Policy Perspectives', UGC Sponsored National Seminar on Public-Private Partnership: Policies, Practices & Perspectives at New Man College, Thodupuzha, Kerala during 17-18 April, 2013.
- Presentation on `Rural Local Governance and Drinking Water: A Study of the Role of Panchayats' NIE sponsored National workshop on Water Science & Policy for Sustainable Development at Raipur, Chattisgarh, during 22-23 March, 2013.
- Presentation on `Dairying as an Instrument of Inclusive Rural Development' at the 41st Dairy Industry Conference of IDA held at Mumbai during 14-16 March, 2013.
- Presentation on `Enhancing Profitability of Coop Banks' Workshop organized by Gujarat State Cooperative Bank, January 7,2013 Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Presentation on "`Rural' and `Rural Transformation' in the Emerging Context: Some Conceptual and Policy Issues?" at the IDRC-TTI Workshop on `Rural-Urban Linkage? held at IRMA, Anand during August 21-22, 2012.
- Presentation on `Creating a Fiscal Domain for PRIs: Some Issues? at the One-day seminar on ?Strengthening Panchayati Raj Institutions in Gujarat: Issues Before the Third State Finance Commission? held at IRMA Anand, on July 21, 2012.
- Book Reading of two classics in Kannada literature, 'Samskara (1965) and 'Bharatipura (1973)' by UR Anantamurthy on 27th July, 2012 under the auspices of IRMA Book Reading Club.
- Chaired the session on `Poverty, Power, and Social Justice', The XXI Annual Convention of NAOP `International Conference on Human Development and Poverty' held at Anand, IRMA during 12-14, 2011.
- Chaired the session on the theme `Innovations in Agricultural Credit Market: Rationalisation of Policy Response' and presented the rapporteur report. The 71st Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, held during 3-5 November, 2011 at Dharwad, Karnataka.
- Chaired a session on `Skill Development for Livelihoods' `Microfinance and Inclusive Development: An Alternative Summit' organized by NLRM/SERP/INAFI at Hyderabad, AP, during 21-22 June, 2011.
- Book Reading on 'The Law of Worldwide Value' by Samir Amin (2010) Monthly Review Press: New York. on 29th of April, 2011 under Book Reading Club at IRMA, Anand.
- Presentation made on `Poverty in India' under International workshop on non-monetary dimensions of poverty held on 3rd March, 2011 at IRMA, Anand.
- Moderator for panel discussion on ‘Innovations in Microfinance’ organized on 27 February, 2011 under Udaan at IRMA, Anand.
- Seminar delivered on ‘Identifying the Poor: A Decentralised Planning Perspective on Jan 10, 2011 at IRMA, Anand.
- Delivered a lecture on ’Community Based Microfinance: Need, Governance and Regulation’ on 2 Dec, 2010 under the Programme on Community Based Microfinance organized by Indian School of Microfinance for Women at Ahmadabad.
- Participated in the one day consultation workshop on ‘Special projects under National Rural Livelihood Mission organized by Ministry of Rural Development, GoI on 12 November, 2010 at New Delhi.
- Gave an interview to Radio Netherlands Worldwide on crisis of microfinance institutions in Andhra Pradesh and the Need for regulation on 22 October 2010.
- Presentation on ‘Microfinance and Self-Regulation in the National Conference on Self Regulation for Sustainable SHGs’ organized by INAFI-India at Chennai, 17, September, 2010.
- Read the book 'Manifesto of the Communist Party' by Karl Marx and F. Engels, on 25th of August, 2010 under Book Reading Club at IRMA, Anand.
- Participated in the Policy round table on ‘Public Provisioning of Healthcare and Decentralization’ held on 31st July 2010 at GIDR, Ahmadabad.
- Participated in the Seminar on ‘13th Finance Commission and PRIs’ organized by ISS, New Delhi on 17 July 2010.
- Seminar presented on ‘The Poverty Muddle: A Commentary on the New Methods for Poverty Measurement, Identification and Alleviation’ on 7 January, 2010 at IRMA Anand
- Presentation made on ‘Lead Bank Scheme (LBS) and Financial Inclusion(FI): Some Issues in the Emerging Context’ at the seminar on ‘Forty Years of Lead Bank Scheme’ organized by ISMW at Ahmedabad on 30 Nov, 2009.
- Presentation made on ’ NREGA : Some Issues in Convergence’ at the UNDP workshop ‘Intersectoral convergence with NREGS’ organized by MoRD, GoI, India, Ahmedabad on 16 Nov, 2009.
- Presentation made on ‘Millennium Development Goals and Microfinance: A Critique’ at the National Conference on Millennium Development Goals and Microfinance oragnised by INAFI India at Chennai in August 22, 2009.
- Participated as a resource person in Integrated Course on Microfinance and Development organized by Indian School of Microfinance for Women, Ahmadabad during 4-6, February, 2009.
- Participated in the workshop on ‘State Finance Commissions: Issues and Options’ organized by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, GoI on 23 January 2009 at New Delhi
- Participated in the conference on ‘Strengthening NEREGA: Roundtable with Social Science Research Institutes’ organized by the Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India on 11 November 2008 at New Delhi.
- Delivered a Talk on ‘Review of Literature’ at the UGC Workshop on Development of Higher Competency in Social Work Research Methodology, held during 21-22 October, 2008 at SP University, VV Nagar.
- Participated as a resource person in the Workshop on “Microfinancing, Livelihood and Family Wellbeing’ at EDI Ahmedabad on September 4, 2008, organized by the BASIX Livelihood School.
- Participated as a discussant in the seminar on ‘Women’s Leadership: Role in Microfinance’ organized by Indian School of Microfinance for Women, Ahmedabad during 11-12, August, 2008.
- Participated as a panel member in the consultative meet on “Impact of Budget Announcement on the Microfinance Sector : A special focus upon the farm loan waiver scheme “organized by the ISMW, Ahmedabad, 28 March, 2008.
- Presentation made on ‘Diversification and Livelihood Impact: Role of Diamond Polishing in a Semiarid Village at the IASSI Conference on ‘Reforming Rural Non Farm Activities For Benefits of Globalization’, 11-12 January, 2008, IRMA, Anand.
- Talk on ‘The Art and Science of Review of Literature’ in the Workshop on ‘Art and Science of Writing’ organized by the FPRM participants of IRMA on December 18, 2007 at IRMA ,Anand.
- Participated the Conference on “Curriculum Development on Social Accountability” organized by World Bank at New Delhi on 19-20 November , 2007.
- Presentation made on "Reversing Distress Migration : A Study in the Tribal Villages of Dahod District (Gujarat)" in the Workshop on ‘Tribals, Development and Economic Reforms’ held during 28-29, Sept 2007 at the Department of Rural Studies, VN South Gujarat University, Surat.
- Seminar presented on ‘Missing Forest for the Trees: An Assessment of Microfinancial Sector Bill 2007’, on 10 May 2007, at IRMA, Anand.
- Participate in the IFPRI-IEG sponsored seminar on ‘From Plate to Plough: Agricultural Diversification and its Implications for Smallholders’, Sept 20-21, 2006, New Delhi.
- Seminar presented on ‘The Crisis of MFIs in Andhra Pradesh’, on 27 April 2006 at IRMA , Anand.
- Delivered UGC Exchange Lecture on “Diversification and Sustainable Rural Livelihood’ at Dept. of Rural Studies, VN South Gujarat University, Surat on 15 December, 2005.
- Presented paper on “Mainstreaming Microfinance for Poverty Alleviation: Need For a Proactive Policy and Regulatory Framework’ at the High Level Policy Conference on Microfinance in India, held during 3-5 May, 2005 at New Delhi.
- Presented paper on ‘The Emerging Governance Paradigm and its Implications for Poverty Alleviation and Equity’ at the Eastern Zone Reflective Workshop on Governance, Gender Poverty and Livelihood held at NCDS, Bhubaneswar, 20-21 July, 2004.
- Participated in the workshop on ‘Poor Women and Local Governance’ organized by SEWA at Ahmadabad, June 29-30, 2004.
- Panel member in the ‘National Workshop on Strategies for Economic Empowerment of Women’ sponsored by Government of Gujarat, Ahmadabad, September 22-23, 2003.
- Delivered a talk on `Co-operative Management’, Department of Economics, University of Mysore, Mysore, and May 14, 2003.