: Shyam Singh
E-Mail : email@example.com
Designation : Assistant Professor
Primary Areagroup(s) : Social Sciences
Address : B-3, IRMA Campus Anand Gujarat
Current Areas of Interest : Governance and Development, Social Policy, Development Evaluation, Social Networks, CSR
- Profile Summary
Dr. Shyam Singh is an Assistant Professor in Social Sciences. He holds a Ph.D. in Political Science from the Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore, and M.Phil. from the Department of Political Science, Guru Ghasidas Central University, Bilaspur, Chattisgarh. His research interests include: governance and development, social policy, social exclusion and caste and village politics. He has five years of experience in research and teaching.
Academics / Awards
- B.Sc. with Mathematics & Physics, CSJM University Kanpur, UP, India
- M.A. in Political Science, CSJM University Kanpur, UP, India
- M.Phil. in Political Science, GG Central University Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh, India
- PhD in Political Science, 2012, Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore
- Recipient of Prof. D. M. Nanjundappa Endowment Best Scholar Award for 2007-08, Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore, India
- Dr. V.K.R.V. Rao Doctoral Fellowship for the period of 2007-2010, Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore, India
- SRTT (Sir Ratan Tata Trust) Fellowship to present a research paper in the Political Science World Congress 2009 held in Santiago, Chile during 12-16 July, 2009.
- Assistant Professor, Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA), Anand, Gujarat, 1st July 2013 onwards
- Scholar-in-Residence at the Institute of Development Policy, University of Antwerp, Belgium, April-June, 2018
- Research Coordinator, Oxfam India, New Delhi, March-June, 2013
- Senior Program Manager (Research), Samarthan Centre for Development Support, Bhopal from 7th Dec, 2011 - 17th March 2013
- Research Fellow, Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship and Democracy, Bangalore, from 16th Dec, 2010 - 10th Sept, 2011
- Research Officer, MSKPP-Women’s Empowerment Centre Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh, from 1st Oct, 2006 - 31st July, 2007.
- Field Supervisor in the project titled ‘A Multi-State Socio-Economic Study of Women with Disabilities’ in Chhattisgarh State, sponsored by UNDP and Government of India, from 1st July, 2006 - 30th Sept, 2006.
- Lecturer, Department of Political Science, Tilak P.G. Collage, Auraiya, UP (affiliated with CSJM University Kanpur, UP), Sept 2004 - Feb 2005.
- Collective Actions, Movements and Leadership
- Rural Research Methods
- ‘Status of the Implementation of Community Participation Law across Indian States’ Dec 2011- Jan 2012.
- ‘How Secure Social Security is? A Situational
Analysis of Social Pensions in Madhya Pradesh’ (with Yogesh Kumar), Indian
Journal of Public Administration, Vol. LXI, No. 4, Oct-Dec, 2015
Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility: Culture of Monitoring and
Evaluation of CSR Initiatives in India’ (With Nathalie Holvoet and Vivek Pandey), Sustainability, Vol. 10, No. 7, 2353,
- 'Rehabilitation of Slum Dwellers: A Case Study in Bhopal' (with Yogesh Kumar), Social Change (Sage Pub.), 44 (4), 2014, pp. 567-578.
- 'MDGs and Post-2015 Development Agenda: Prospects for Indian Civil Society', (with Yogesh Kumar), Social Change (Sage), 44 (2), 2014, pp. 249-261
- ‘Politics and Public Policies: Politics of Human Development in Uttar Pradesh’, Artha Vijnana, Vol. 54, No. 4, 2012, (Published in July 2013)
- ‘Citizen Participation in Urban Governance: Quest for Transparency and Accountability’, Environment and Urbanization ASIA (Sage Pub), Vol. 4, No. 1, 2013, pp: 191-202.
- ‘Empowerment from the Above: Responses and Impact of Social Security Schemes in UP’, Journal of Rural Development, Vol. 32, No. 1, 2013, pp 47-59.
- ‘World Social Science Report 2010- Whither India and South Asia?’ Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 46, No. 1, January 1, 2011. pp 10-12.
- ‘Three Years of the BSP Government in Uttar Pradesh’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 45, No. 38, September 18, 2010. pp 77-81.
- ‘Locating State: Perspectives of Governance and Development in India’, Indian Journal of Political Science, Vol. LXXI, No. 1, Jan-March, 2010, pp. 123-132
- ‘State, Social Security and Economic Reforms in India’ (with Dr. V. Anil Kumar), [The] Journal of Polity and Society, Vol. 2, No.1, 2009, pp. 75-87.
- Public policies fail when they do not deliver political messages: Role of political organizations in delivering public policies, paper at the international conference on Public Policy in Asia, organized by Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 26-27 May, 2014.
- Can rights based social protection approach help poor? Challenges of graduation from poverty in India, paper at the international conference on Graduation and Social Protection, organized by the Institute of Development Studies (IDS), University of Sussex and the Ministry of Local Government, Government of Rwanda, Kigali, Rwanda, 6-8 May, 2014
- Political Regimes and Social Security: An Emerging Framework presented in Global South Workshop 2011, organized by the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva and Gajdah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 28 Nov – 2 Dec, 2011.
- World Social Science Report 2010: A Critique, paper at international conference on Decolonizing Our Universities, organized by University Sains Malaysia and Citizen International, Penang, Malaysia, 27-29 June, 2011
- Institutional Paucity and Governance: Role of Caste in the Service Delivery in Rural India, paper at the Development Dialogue, organized by The International Institute of Social Studies, The Hague, Netherlands, 6-7 June, 2011.
- Institutional Paucity and Governance: Role of Caste in the Service Delivery in Rural India, paper at HDCA annual conference, organized by Human Development Capability Association, The Hague, Netherlands, 6-8 September, 2011
- Cornering Urban and Preferring Rural: Politics of Empowerment in India, paper at International Conference on the Empowerment of Civil Society in Urban Politics, organized by the UNESCO Chair on Urban Politics and Citizenship, Porquerolles Island, France, 31st October- 2nd November, 2009.
- Politics and Public Policies: Social Welfare and Human Development Policies in Uttar Pradesh, India (co-authored with Dr. V Anil Kumar), paper at Fourth International Conference on Public Policy and Management, Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Bangalore, 9-12 August, 2009,.
- Social Capital: A Complementary Concept to the State in Sustainable Development and Environment Protection, paper at Political Science World Congress 2009, Santiago, Chile, 12-16 July, 2009.
- Representative Democracy, Leadership and Women: Insights from Rural Area paper at the International Conference on Citizenship and Governance organized by Participatory Research in Asia (PRIA) New Delhi and Citizenship DRC, UK, New Delhi, 27-29 Feb, 2008.
- E-Governance in Search of Good Governance, paper at the International Conference on Management, Icfai Business School, Ahmadabad, 27-29 Dec, 2007.
- Challenges and Options before Women’s Movement in Chhattisgarh paper at the International Conference on Women’s Situation and Women’s Study: A South Asian Perspective, North Bengal University Darjeeling, 8-19 December, 2006.
- Exiting versus Sustainability: Post-implementation scenario of urban housing in rehabilitated slum settlements in Bhopal paper at the National Conference on Urban Poverty, organized by the Council for Social Development, New Delhi, 11-12 Feb, 2013.
- Community Participation Law across States, paper at the national consultation on How Inclusive are our Cities? Implications for 12th Five Year Plan, organized by CIVIC Bangalore, India Habitat Forum and Hazard Centre, Bangalore, 27-28 Jan, 2012.
- The BSP and Dalit Empowerment: Dilemmas and Contradictions, paper at the national conference, Centre for Advanced Studies, Department of Political Science, Osmania University, Hyderabad, 28-29 April, 2010.
- NREGS in Indian States- Does it Make Difference? paper at the national seminar on ‘Rural Transformation and Development, MP Institute of Social Science Research, Ujjain, MP, 17-18 March, 2009.
- Economic Reforms and Social Security in India: Post-Reforms Scenario of Social Security in India, paper at the national conference, Department of Political Science, Osmania University, Hyderabad, 27-29 March 2008.
- Feminism and Women’s Movement in Chhattisgarh paper at 53rd All India Political Science Conference, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 27-29 Dec. 2006.
Cases/ Books / Articles / Book Chapters
- Article Published in Magazines/Newspapers
- How Feasible and Effective would Mohalla Samitis be in Urban Madhya Pradesh, Mainstream (New Delhi), Vol. L, No 38, Sept 8, 2012.
- ‘BSP’s Route to 2012’, Mainstream (New Delhi), Vol XLIX, No 15, April 2, 2011.
- ‘Are We Missing the Morale of the Economy’, Mainstream (New Delhi), Vol. XLVIII, No. 33, 7th August, 2010.
- Khaps’ stand goes against Hindu culture Hindustan Times (Lucknow), June 8th, 2010
- Inequalities in Development published in The New Indian Express, Bangalore, 27th
- Chapters in Edited Books
- 'JNNURM Case Study' in Amitabh Behar, Yogesh Kumar and John Samual, eds., Citizen?s Report on Governance and Development-2013, Daanish Books, New Delhi, 2014
- ‘The BSP and Dalit Empowerment: Dilemmas and Contradictions’ in Ravindra Sastry and G Ram Reddy, eds. Empowerment: State, Governance and Beyond¸ India Research Press, New Delhi, 2014
- ‘World Social Science Report 2010: A Critique’ in Claude Alvares and Shad Saleem Faruqi, eds. Decolonising The University: The Emerging Quest for Non-Eurocentric Paradigms, University Sains Malaysia Press, Penang, 2012.
Peace Justice and Strong Institutions: Role of Panchayats’, in Rajesh Kumar
Sinha edited Sustainable Development
Goals and Panchayats, Rawat Publication, New Delhi, 2018.
- Internal (Organizational) Publications:
- ‘Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education: Delivering the Promises of the Law’, (with Anjela Taneja and Lucy Dubochet), a policy brief for Oxfam India, April 2013.
- Asian Development Bank and Food Security: A Picture in India’ (with Saudamini Zutshi), a policy brief for Oxfam India, May 2013.
- Working Papers (Refereed)
- ‘Politics and Public Policies- Politics of Human Development Policies in Uttar Pradesh’, ISEC Working Paper Series, No. 287, July, 2012.
- Dalit Movement and Emergence of the BSP in Uttar Pradesh: Politics and Priorities’, ISEC Working Paper Series, No. 242, April, 2010.
- Workshops/Training Programmes
- Participated in the Strategy Session on ‘the use of ICT for transparency and accountability in governance’, organized by the Open Society Foundation, New York, 27-30 Nov, 2012.
- Participated in a capacity building program ‘Promoting Democratic Institutions and Practices’ organized by the Asia Foundation, Dhaka, 22 April- 26 April, 2012.
- Participated in seven days UGC sponsored workshop on Rights Tools for Sustainable Development, organized by the Department of Political Science, Presidency College, University of Madras on 18-24 August, 2008.
- Participated in two weeks ‘Data Analysis Programme in Social Sciences’, organized by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai, 6-18 November 2006
- Participated in five days workshop on Gender Equity through Enterprise Development organized by WSDC, Guru Ghasidas University Bilaspur, held on 16-20th May, 2006 and sponsored by NIESBUD, Ministry of Small Scale, Govt. of India.
- Participated in a panel discussion on 'National Commission for Scheduled Tribes', organized by Social Watch India, New Delhi, 17 Dec, 2013.
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods, (July 18 - 20, 2018)
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods, (May 8 - 10, 2017)
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Development Programmes, (January 16 - 19, 2017)
- Impact Evaluation Training Program, (November 17 - 21, 2016)
- Impact Evaluation Summer School, (September 26 - 30, 2016)
- Rural Immersion Programme, (September 23 - 25, 2016)
- Concurrent Monitoring and Evaluation of Schemes - Responsibilities of Implementing Partners for Indian Forest Service Officers, (June 9 - 10, 2016)
- Impact Evaluation, (March 1 - 5, 2016)
- IRMA Impact Evaluation Winter School, (November 30 - December 9, 2015)
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods, (November 26 - 28, 2015)
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods, (March 26 - 28, 2015)
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods, (November 19 - 21, 2014)
- Effective CSR Implementation for Aditya Birla Group CSR Executives, (May 15 - 19, 2017)
- 'Training of Trainers & Monitoring/Evaluation Aspects for Projects' for Better Cotton Initiative, (April 12 - 15, 2016)
- Monitoring and Evaluation, (February 23 - 25, 2016)
- IRMA Impact Evaluation Summer School 2015 (A Training Programme to Build Research Capacity in Impact Evaluation, (May 18 - 23, 2015)
- General Management Programme (GMP), (January 19 - February 7, 2015)
- Rural Livelihoods and Poverty Alleviation, (January 20 - 24, 2014)
- General Management Programme, (January 6 - 25, 2014)