Prof Sridhar Vishwanath recently participated in a panel discussion on Sustainable Technology Driven Agriculture for New India during the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit, 2019.
In his address, Prof Vishwanath defined Sustainability Factor as the ability of the agricultural land to maintain acceptable levels of production over a long period of time without degrading the environment, while producing safe and high-quality food. He stressed on the important role sustainable technologies can play in the following areas:
- Advancement of economic and efficient production of safe and high-quality food
- Increasing the income of farmers through viable farm enterprises
- Promotion of sustainable production methods to prevent harm to human health and the environment
- Promotion of rural entrepreneurship livelihood opportunities for the poor
He also presented his recommendations in this regard that included:
- Efforts towards intensification in technology transfer and development of new technologies must happen by adapting scientific knowledge to local requirements
- Participation of both Public and Private sector is a must, and should provide economic incentives for the development and adoption of sustainable technologies
- Training of rural youth to remove the barriers in technology adoption should be an essential component in technology transfer process as it will also alleviate the issue of rural to urban migration and create employment opportunities at the grassroots level
Prof Vishwanath also urged the farmers present to adopt scientific agricultural practices so that input utilisation could be rationalised, and returns could be improved. He also told them to explore sustainable technologies such as solar photovoltaic, biogas, organic farming, integrated pest management (IPM), among others.
Prof. Sridhar Vishwanath works in the Strategy & Policy Area at the Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA). His current interest areas are Strategy, Capability Development, Farmer Producer Organisations and Supply Management in Agribusiness.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them.