: Anand Venkatesh
E-Mail : email@example.com
Designation : Professor
Primary Areagroup(s) : Economics
Secondary Areagroup(s) : Production Operations Management & QT
Address : B-11, Irma Campus, P. B. No. 60 Anand Gujarat
Current Areas of Interest : Rural Infrastructure Economics, Productivity and Efficiency Analysis, Prioritization using AHP
- Profile Summary
Received Ph.D. Degree in Economics from the University of Mumbai in August, 2004
Area of Specialization: Transportation Economics
Dissertation Title: Pricing, Cost Recovery and Production Efficiency in the Indian Railways
Dissertation Guide: Professor S.Sriraman, Walchand Hirachand Professor of Transportation Economics, Department of Economics, University of Mumbai
Venue: University of Pretoria, South Africa
Period: September 2008- August 2009
Topic: Understanding Rural Travel Behaviour Using Stated Choice Modelling
Facilitator: Prof. Christo Venter, University of Pretoria
Brief Outline of Work: This study was an attempt to model rural travel, a hitherto under researched area. The rural area of Kgautswane in South Africa was taken as study area and by means of techniques like Participatory Rural Appraisals, the drivers of travel behaviour were determined. Finally rural travel was modeled using stated choice modeling approach and interesting insights were obtained regarding the same. The plan hereon is to continue the study in rural India and widen the scope of the project by including captivity in rural travel, attribute cutoffs, etc.
- Have acquired exposure to rural economy, society and polity in IRMA
- Have good exposure to management teaching by means of interacting with students over a range of disciplines
- Possess the ?ideal blend? of experience in training, research and consultancy
- Have good exposure to research in passenger public transportation management
- The teaching stint at the undergraduate level helps me to simplify even relatively complex concepts
- The combination of economics, mathematics and statistics has given me a competitive edge both in qualitative research as well as modelling
- Have a good command over various Indian languages such as Marathi, Hindi, Tamil and Kannada
Academics / Awards
- August 2004: Ph.D. Degree in Economics from the University of Mumbai
- 1994-96 : Department of Economics, University of Mumbai M.A. Economics with Specialization in Econometrics and International Economics
- 1991-94 : R.N.Ruia College, University of MumbaiB.Sc Statistics with Economics and Mathematics as Minor Subjects
- Awarded Fulbright Nehru Fellowship for Academic and Professional Excellence in 2014-15. As part of the Fellowship spent nine months in Dept. of Economics, University of Connecticut, USA.
- Won best paper award for ""Are Stated Choice Methods Applicable in Rural Areas? A Study of Kgautswane Rural Area in South Africa"" in International Conference on Marketing in Emerging Economies held at IIM Ahmedabad in January, 2013.
- Subjects taught at GIM
- Applied Statistical Techniques
- Operations Research
- Transportation Management
- Marketing Research
- Subjects taught at IRMA
- Quantitative Analysis for Rural Management
- Multivariate Data Analysis
- Marketing Research and Analytics
- Subjects Taught at N.G.Acharya and D.K.Marathe College
- Micro Economics
- Macro Economics
- Mathematical Economics
- Team Member in completed project "Studying Retail Potential of Organic Food Products" for client Purvanchal Gramin Seva Samiti (PGSS)"
- Coordinator in Research Project "Policy Analysis of the Prime Minister`s Rural Roads Scheme". Project is funded by IDRC.
- Community Based Rural Tourism, UNDP, Team Member, 2009-10
- Strategic Plan for COMPFED, Co-operative Milk Producers`Federation, Bihar, Quantitative Analyst, 2006-07
- Demand Estimation of Steel and Feasibility of Setting Retail Outlets at Block Level, Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), Quantitative Analyst, 2006-07
- Competition Issues in the Road Goods Transport in India, Competitions Commission, Govt. of India, funded by World Bank, Senior Researcher, 2005-06
- Pricing Of Urban Bus Companies In India, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Govt of India, Transport Economist, 2002-2003
- International Project on Enhanced Accessibility for Persons With Disabilities in Urban Areas, DFID, Govt. of U.K., Team Leader for Indian Leg of Project, 2001-2003
- Economic Evaluation of Road Improvement Projects Undertaken in Pune City, Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC), Transport Economist, 2001-2002
- Economic Evaluation of Bus Terminal Upgradartion in Karnataka Undertaken By Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KnSRTC), Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KnSRTC), Transport Economist, 2001-2002
- Economic, Environmental & Commercialisation Study Of Flyovers In Mumbai, Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC), Assistant Transport Economist, 1999-2000
- Financial performance of state road transport corporations in India, Eleventh Finance Commission, Govt. of India, Assistant Transport Economist, 1997-98
- International Conferences
- Captivity in Rural Travel- A Study of Kgautswane in South Africa at International Association of Travel Behaviour in Jaipur, January 2010.
- Public or Private?-A study of Kadamba Transport Corporation in Goa, Presented at International Conference on Transportation Systems, Organized by Department of Economics, Mumbai University, January 2008.
- Use of AHP to Understand Housing Demand- Presented at International Conference on Transportation Systems, Organized by Department of Economics, Mumbai University along with Vidya Mohite, January 2008.
- Efficiency Effects of Decentralization of Bus Transport Undertaking, Application of DEA, presented at Indian School of Business, Hyderabad at International Conference on Data Envelopment Analysis in January, 2007.
- Livelihood Issues for Persons with Disabilities-Presented at International Human Resources Conference, MDI Gurgaon with Ms Nivedita Kothiyal, January 2007.
- Accessibility for All: A case study of Pune City in India, presented in TRANSED (Transportation for Elderly and Disabled) conference held at Hamamatsu, Japan, May 2004.
- Enhanced Accessibility for Persons With Disabilities in Urban Areas: Findings of the International Project presented at conference in Pretoria, South Africa and also at DFID, London, June 2002.
- National Conferences
- Use of Analytic Hierarchical Processes in Development Studies, at Faculty Development Programme conducted by Department of Economics, University of Mumbai, January 2013.
- Paper discussant at Workshop in University of Mumbai on Experimental Economics, January 2011.
- Impact of Access on Agriculture- At conference conducted by Indian Chambers of Commerce in Kolkata, November 2009.
- Rural Access and Mobility-An overview conducted by SNDT University, Mumbai, 2008.
- DEA and its applications at a Faculty Development Programme conducted by South Gujarat University, March 2007.
- Study of Productivity and Efficiency of MSRTC, along with Ms Manisha Karne at National conference conducted by Department of Economics, University of Mumbai, 2004.
Cases/ Books / Articles / Book Chapters
- Newspaper Articles
- The Flawed Fancy for Flyovers, appeared in Financial Express, June 5, 2007.
- Working Papers
- Market Selection Decision Scorecard: Integrating Multivariate Techniques and AHP (with Preeti Priya), 2010.
- Analysis of Productivity and Efficiency in MSRTC (With Manisha Karne), 2004.
- An Analysis of Productivity and Profitability of Swargate Bus Depot of MSRTC (with Sanjay Singh), 2003.
- Administrative Responsibilities handled at IRMA
- Editor of Network, the Quarterly periodical of IRMA.
- Coordinator of Admissions ? Was in charge of the entire admissions process right from conduct of IRMA written test to Group Discussion and Personal Interview stage to the final declaration of results.
- Coordinator of Fieldwork Component-This involved a thorough review of IRMA`s fieldwork programme with an intention to modify one or more components if required. Also, new contacts for host organizations were explored in addition to maintaining existing ones. Also the possibility of knitting fieldwork segment more closely with the classroom curriculum was explored.
- Member of Fellow Programme in Rural Management (FPRM) Committee.
- Visited Rural Bihar, West Bengal and Kutch as part of fieldwork involvements with IRMA participants.
- Worked as Assistant Professor at Goa Institute of Management (GIM) from July, 2004 to April, 2006.
- Other Relevant Information
- Have completed basic Afrikaans course in University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Have completed six months basic course in German language under the aegis of Max Muller Bhavan
- Passed the State Eligibility Test (SET), a pre-requisite for teaching in colleges of Maharashtra
- Proficient in statistical and econometric packages such as SPSS, SHAZAM, LIMDEP,etc.
- Research Responsibility in IRMA
- Heading the Centre for Rural Infrastructure created in collaboration with Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India.
- Some of the MDPs Conducted in CIRT:
- Road Transport Regulation and Administration
- Study of Productivity and Efficiency in Transport Undertakings
- Financing of Infrastructure
- Project Planning and Appraisal
- Socio-economic Aspects of Vehicular Pollution and Accidents
- Fare Policy
- Transport Economics and Planning
- Universal Accessibility
- Activity Based Costing
- Work Experience
- Total Work Experience:17 Years
- Currently Working as Associate Professor at Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA) since April, 2006
- Worked as Visiting Faculty in Somaiya Institute of Management Research (SIMSR) From January, 2004 to March 2004 and taught Managerial Economics
- Worked as Transport Economist in Central Institute of Road Transport from May,2001 to September,2003
- Worked as Lecturer in N.G.Acharya and D.K.Marathe College affiliated to Mumbai University from June, 1996 to April, 2001.
- Conducted a three-day workshop from 26th Dec 2005 to 29th Dec 2005 on Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). Key resource person for the workshop is Dr.Subhash Ray, University of Connecticut, U.S.A.
- Conducted Management Development Programmes (MDPs) for Officers of State Transport Undertakings, RTOs, IAS and IPS Officers.
- Participated in Various Research and Consultancy Assignments Related to Various Aspects of Transport Economics.
- Data Envelopment Analysis, (January 8 - 10, 2016)
- "Training of Trainers" in Statistical Methodology (Phase-II), (August 19 - 23, 2014)
- "Training of Trainers" in Statistical Methodology (Phase-I), (August 5 - 9, 2014)
- Data Analysis Skills Using SPSS, (July 22 - 25, 2014)
- Data Management Skills, (October 17 - 19, 2013)
- Data Management Skills, (March 20 - 22, 2013)
- Data Management Skills, (December 7 - 9, 2010)
- Marketing Research - Insights and Applications, (April 21 - 25, 2008)
- Marketing Research for Managers, (May 16 - 18, 2007)
- Data Analysis of Surveys, (August 8 - 10, 2017)
- Making Markets Work for the Poor (Market-Led Livelihood Interventions), (February 22 - 24, 2017)
- UDAAN Management Development Programme in Rural Management for TATA Steel Global Wires Division, (February 1 - 3, 2017)
- Practical Answers to Poverty - Marketing of Rural Products, (September 20 - 23, 2016)
- UDAAN Management Development Programme in Rural Management for TATA Steel Global Wires Division, (July 5 - 7, 2016)
- Practical Answers to Poverty - Marketing of Rural Products, (September 1 - 4, 2015)
- General Management Programme, (January 6 - 25, 2014)
- General Management Programme, (February 25 - March 16, 2013)
- Qualitative and Quantitative Techniques for Evaluation, (December 19 - 22, 2011)
- General Management Programme for NDDB Officers, (June 13 - July 2, 2011)
- Assessment of Poverty and Livelihoods for Rural Communities for the Officers of the Government of Yemen, (April 7 - 27, 2011)
- Management Appreciation Programme for the Officers of NDDB, (February 21 - 25, 2011)
- Rural Marketing Skills, (May 3 - 5, 2010)